I started making this list four years ago, with Kathy, when we both lived in the sunshine state. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Bay Area, there is no summer there, and we both missed it desperately. There's something about the ephemeral nature of summer that makes things sweeter then they would be if you could have them year-round. That's why, although I remain a California girl at heart, at this time of year I never fail to appreciate certain things about an East Coast (or Michigan) summer. Here are the top 10:
10. Seasonal fruits and vegetables, especially tomatoes ...
9. ... and all the things you can do with them.
8. The footwear (or lack thereof).
7. Freshly cut grass, and how cutting the grass can qualify as a workout based on the amount of sweat involved.
6. Days where I wear nothing but a bathing suit, from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed.
5. Watching The Price Is Right and doing the ironing on a rainy day -- it reminds me of summers home with my mom as a kid. The woman had a never-ending ironing pile.
4. Doing chores involving water, which feel like playing (like washing the car).
3. Summer reading.
2. Condensation dripping down the side of an ice-cold beer at the end of a day at the beach.
And, the number one thing I love about summer....
1. Sorry, but you'll have to use your imagination. I just can't bring myself to articulate it on a blog my parents occasionally read. And I certainly won't be providing a picture!
P.S.When I was writing this, I was reminded of this Catie Curtis song. Hence, the title of the post. :-)