Wednesday, November 17, 2010

worse than being a garbage collector?

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night, anxiety-ridden over work issues.  I could not get back to sleep, so I did what every person who is half of a couple would do.  I woke up Kathy.  Our conversation went like this.

Me:  Kathy.  Kathy.  Kathy, wake up.  Kathy.  Kathy.
Kathy:  Wha-- huh?  What's wrong?
Me:  I can't sleep.
Kathy:  Oh no.  What's the matter?
Me:  I don't know.  I'm stressed.  [Exhausted crying starts.]  We seriously have the worst job in the world.  [Have I mentioned Kathy has the same job as me?  She does.]  Seriously.  For real.  It's so awful.  The worst job in the world.  Why didn't anyone tell me it was the worst job in the world?  Oh wait.  They did.  In law school they said that lawyers have lower job satisfaction than anyone.  Anywhere.  That's why so many lawyers are alcoholics.  Are you sleeping?  Why did I think that I would be any different?  It's like how everyone thinks they're an above-average driver.
Kathy:  I am an above-average driver.  I'm a really great driver!
Me:  No, you're not.  You're probably average, you just think you're above-average.  Just like how all law students think that somehow, magically, they will be the only lawyer who actually likes their job. 
Kathy:  No, I'm really a good driver. 

I was up for a total of 2 1/2 hours.  Finally I got up and just worked for a while in the middle of the night, so that I could relax enough to actually sleep.  For the second night in a row, job related stress = sleepless night.  So.  I would like to introduce you to my new best friend:



Because I got 4 new assignments today, all due before Thanksgiving and one big one due tonight.  Yipee.  Looks like this exhaustion-related headache is going to stick around for a few more days.  But at least I have the benefit of a partner who totally, completely understands what it's like.  And actually is an above-average driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment