Monday, November 1, 2010

the raven (or the crow, depending)

On Saturday, I went to a new yoga class.  I was inspired by my sister, who said she went to yoga last week.  I haven't been in ages.  I used to go all the time, and it was always time for myself, time I could pay attention to my inner promptings, if you will.  Also, time I could turn off the cell phone and just relax.  I started going waaaaaay back when I lived in Michigan. 

Anyway, I haven't been going for a long time.  In fact, I haven't really been going consistently since I moved to New York.  I tried different studios, different teachers, different classes, and didn't like a single one of them.  All the classes I tried in New York City shared one major drawback:  the energy was so competitive.  Several of the teachers used it as show-off time, bending themselves into impossible poses.  Many of the studios offered free classes to other teachers at the studio (maybe to make the classes look full, I don't know) and the result was that there was always at least one person in each class who weighed about 115 lbs., was wearing a sports bra as if it were a shirt, and was up in the front doing the "advanced" variation to every pose.  I always spent the next 3 days in pain from pushing myself too hard.  I never left with a feeling of zen, usually just with a vague sense of failure.  And most importantly, no one was ever friendly.  This includes the teacher.  So gradually, I stopped trying to find a class and stopped going.  I started running more and more, and just decided I would get my exercise/me-time that way. 

Then, my sister said she was going, and I was totally and completely overwhelmed with pretty much everything in my life.  And, conveniently, I found a class that conflicted with the Saturday morning recreational soccer that the kids all play (which is my own personal hell).  So we had a winner.  I put on my stretch pants and went. 

When I got there, I was nervous.  I hadn't practiced yoga in months, and I hadn't practiced consistently in over 2 years (how did I let that happen?! I asked myself).  My legs were tight from running without stretching.  My arms were weak.  I felt out of practice.  And the teacher made me sit front and center.  Because Halloween was approaching, she asked us to think of a pose that frightened us.  My first thought was "all of them," but when I had to say it out loud in front of the class, I went with the basic arm balance that I have never been able to do, even when I went to yoga every week and could stand on my hands.

The crow.
 
(This is a raven, apparently, not a crow.  It turns out they are different birds. 
From Curious Expeditions, which has an interesting discussion of the raven in literature.)


Crow pose actually looks like this:

It is terrifying, because you feel like you are going to land flat on your face.  I was nervous about the arm strength required, and I always kind of feel like my knees are digging into my upper arms in a really painful way.  I tried it a few times, failed, and quit.  I know, not that inspiring.

But then, the teacher asked me how it was.  "I don't like it,"  I answered.  She apparently noticed that I had not really put that much into it.  The woman next to me asked her to walk through again how to do it.  I listened.  I put a bolster in front of my face so I could fall on my face and it wouldn't hurt.  I lifted up and moved forward instead of trying to just pick up my heels and put my head down.  It worked.  I fell on my face on the bolster, but for approximately 1.5 seconds, I was in crow pose.  Maybe yoga is not a metaphor for life.  But, you know, moving up and forward is generally better than just putting your head down and hoping no one notices you aren't trying that hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment