Tuesday, January 10, 2012

biting

About two weeks ago, I did something to my back.  I have avoided mentioning it for two reasons.  First, because I have been trying to deny that it is an actual problem.  Second, because I thought it would be boring.

By ignoring the fact that my back has hurt in varying degrees of severity for two weeks, I have probably made things worse, by going running, lifting weights (!) and hauling Christmas decorations up to the attic. 


Also, this weekend, we almost killed Cutie, the hamster (this ties in, I promise).  It turns out that it was too chilly for her little body near the window.  But we had no idea what was wrong with her when she simply stopped eating and basically stopped moving.  "Don't pet her, Boo," Kathy said to a very concerned B.  "Sick animals sometimes bite." We learned that being cold makes hamsters hibernate (who knew?), and once we warmed her up, she was fine. 


All weekend, I was edgy.  It took this observation of Kathy's to tie it to the fact that I have been in pain for almost two weeks.  It wears on you, hurting all the time.  Everything you do requires effort.  You can't do the things you want to do (like run, pick up my kids, or, in a particularly bad moment PUT ON MY OWN PANTS).  Also, it just hurts, which makes a person a little cranky.  I guess not only animals have a tendency to bite when in pain.

Today, I finally admitted that sleeping with a pillow under my knees and taking 2 Advil around the clock, including in the middle of the night, for two weeks probably indicated this problem wasn't going to go away on its own. So I did what I always do when I have a practical problem. I asked my friend who owns the coffee shop for help.

She knows everyone in our town, and most of the people in the surrounding towns. If you need a referral for anything, she has it. I have never, ever walked out of the cafe without a phone number tucked into my purse. So when I asked her whether she had the name of a chiropractor, she, of course, did.

I have an appointment tomorrow.  I am a little nervous and a little excited.  Hopefully, the chiropractor will be able to help with this horrible back pain, and I will stop biting those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment