Thursday, February 24, 2011

ski vacation

Hello!  It's been a while.  That's because we were surprised to learn, when we arrived at our ski house, that it doesn't have internet.  I'm not kidding.  There is a vacation rental house in the United States without internet access.  For real.  So, I have a little catching up to do.  The drive with the kids went smoothly; they loved Harry Potter (and we still have half the book left for the drive home).  We saw Kathy's dad in Pittsburgh and spent some time with our friends.  The weather did not really cooperate on Monday for skiing, so instead, we went rollerskating.

(my feet)

I haven't been rollerskating since well before college.  It was so fun.  The kids kept asking me how I knew how to do it.  I kept telling them that really, people used to go rollerskating all the time.  Whatever happened to rollerskating?  How is it not popular anymore?  Also, I find it so fun that they have not updated rollerskate styles since I was a young kid.  I don't even think they make rollerskates with anything other than orange wheels and brown laces.

Tuesday and Wednesday were the only days that we had signed the kids up for ski lessons.  Remarkably, they were also the only two days that the weather was decent for skiing.  Monday night we got about 8 inches of new snow, and it stayed cold enough through the end of the day yesterday so that we could get in a full day of skiing both days.  No one was sick, either.  It was kind of remarkable.  Is it possible that our luck might be changing?  We can only hope.

I have to be honest about skiing.  You would think, from all the chirping about skiing on this blog lately, that I love it.  I do not.  It's fun for about a day, but then I am definitely done.  Yesterday I took one for the team and put in a full day of skiing when I wasn't really that into it.  But Kathy loves it so much, I figure a couple of days of skiing more than I would like is a small sacrifice for how excited she gets about it.  Anyway, I fully expect her to tolerate more beach days than she would otherwise be excited about, come summer. 

Anyway, I am pretty sure I am being charged by the minute to write this, but I will try to post at least once more this week.  Tomorrow we are driving home, and Kathy discovered that Hershey, PA is not too far out of our way.  1 car.  7 hours.  3 kids.  And a tour of a chocolate factory.  Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment