Tuesday, December 13, 2011

whack-a-mole

Sometimes, I feel like my life is one long game of whack-a-mole.  Like at the arcade.  We get one problem solved over here, and a new one crops up over there.


We were steadily trucking along toward getting the basement finished.  The carpeting was installed about eleven days ago, and the doors we ordered from Home Depot came in.  Kathy and I went out in the City on Saturday night for our Christmas Date (the night of Santa Con, which was amusing), and then we got up and threw a load of laundry in on Sunday morning, before heading out to breakfast at the local diner.

When we came home, we discovered that our washing machine had broken, and FLOODED OUR FREAKING BASEMENT.  I wish I were making this up, but I'm not.  Our brand new, 10 day old carpet was soaking wet.

When we complained about this to our friend who owns the town's coffee shop, one of her customers overheard and said that we should exorcise the water spirit from our house.  She was serious.  She said that her house flooded regularly, and that a psychic told her it was the ghost of her aunt trying to drown her.  She had an exorcism, and bam! no more floods.  A year ago, I would have thought she was insane.  Now, I am considering lurking at my friend's coffee shop until she comes in, so that I can get the name of the person who performed the exorcism.

In the meantime, I have just whacked the "find a new washer" mole, and the "have the wet padding replaced" mole.  This week, I also whacked the "get house properly insulated" mole and the "get death trap garage door fixed" mole.  My To-Do list takes up an entire 8 1/2 x 14 legal size piece of paper.  So I say BRING IT ON.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Jim and I was a friend of Kathy's in high school. What I've read so far kept me interested and brought a smile to my face. I look forward to reading more. Berkley huh?, interesting. Tell Kathy Jim Carnprobst says hello.

    ReplyDelete